Monday, September 30, 2013

Theme Song

As you know, we're the sort of travellers who have a personal photographer and videographer to document our adventures.  I've shared some snippets of Shelby's work with you (you can check them out any time on YouTube, here and here).  One of the things I love in her videos is when she films everyone dancing to the same song but at different locations throughout the trip and in the final video she edits all those dances together into one snapshot of the trip.

I would love it if we did that too.  With that in mind, over the last few months I've been listening to all songs I enjoy trying to imagine, not only dancing to it, but having that song be the theme song of our video - representative of our experience.

Well this morning I was listening to my AWOLNATION station on Pandora and they played a song I'd never heard before and have quickly fallen in love with.  It's On Top of the World by Imagine DragonsListen to it, and let me know what you guys think of it...

Keep in mind, there will obviously be many songs used on the video.  The best ones are upbeat songs that are currently played on the radio because, of course, just hearing them will immediately take us back to the trip in our minds.  But I'm dying to know, what do you think of On Top of the World as our one theme song?

 
I coulda gave up then but
Then again I couldn’t have ’cause
I’ve traveled all this way for something
 
I take it in but don’t look down
 
‘Cause I’m on top of the world, ‘ay
I’m on top of the world, ‘ay
Waiting on this for a while now
Paying my dues to the dirt
I’ve been waiting to smile, ‘ay
Been holding it in for a while, ‘ay
Take you with me if I can
Been dreaming of this since a child
I’m on top of the world.
 

7 comments:

  1. Love the song! Love the beat, love the lyrics and I love the words. I think it's a perfect theme song for us!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing! Can't wait to film and edit!! Better start thinking up a dance for your song! So exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving it... somehow a little African! Great choice x clo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? I thought that too. Something about the beat.

      Delete
  4. From Gail:
    Luv, luv, luv the song! Definitely rates as a theme and now I can’t get it out of my head.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this song. Discovered it some time back. It was the theme song for a show that didn't last but the song stayed in my head and is on my nano already. :) I love it and it makes me want to dance and make s me happy. :) Great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lyrics (Just in case you want to sing...Simone...please don't. :)

    "On Top Of The World"

    If you love somebody
    Better tell them while they’re here ’cause
    They just may run away from you

    You’ll never know quite when, well
    Then again it just depends on
    How long of time is left for you

    I’ve had the highest mountains
    I’ve had the deepest rivers
    You can have it all but life keeps moving

    I take it in but don’t look down

    ‘Cause I’m on top of the world, ‘ay
    I’m on top of the world, ‘ay
    Waiting on this for a while now
    Paying my dues to the dirt
    I’ve been waiting to smile, ‘ay
    Been holding it in for a while, ‘ay
    Take you with me if I can
    Been dreaming of this since a child
    I’m on top of the world.

    I’ve tried to cut these corners
    Try to take the easy way out
    I kept on falling short of something

    I coulda gave up then but
    Then again I couldn’t have ’cause
    I’ve traveled all this way for something

    I take it in but don’t look down

    ‘Cause I’m on top of the world, ‘ay
    I’m on top of the world, ‘ay
    Waiting on this for a while now
    Paying my dues to the dirt
    I’ve been waiting to smile, ‘ay
    Been holding it in for a while, ‘ay
    Take you with me if I can
    Been dreaming of this since a child
    I’m on top of the world.

    Oooooooo... OoooAhhhhhOoooAhhhhh[2x]

    ‘Cause I’m on top of the world, ‘ay
    I’m on top of the world, ‘ay
    Waiting on this for a while now
    Paying my dues to the dirt
    I’ve been waiting to smile, ‘ay
    Been holding it in for a while, ‘ay
    Take you with me if I can
    Been dreaming of this since a child

    And I know it’s hard when you’re falling down
    And it’s a long way up when you hit the ground
    Get up now, get up, get up now.

    And I know it’s hard when you’re falling down
    And it’s a long way up when you hit the ground
    Get up now, get up, get up now.

    ‘Cause I’m on top of the world, ‘ay
    I’m on top of the world, ‘ay
    Waiting on this for a while now
    Paying my dues to the dirt
    I’ve been waiting to smile, ‘ay
    Been holding it in for a while, ‘ay
    Take you with me if I can
    Been dreaming of this since a child
    I’m on top of the world.

    ReplyDelete