First I'd like to tell you about the most extreme golf hole in the world - it's the par 3 Extreme 19th at the Legend Golf Safari Resort in South Africa. The tee is on top of Hangklip Mountain - 1,400 feet above the green. The tee box is literally on the edge of a cliff. Golfers are dropped off at the tee by helicopter. A tee shot takes almost 30 seconds to land. Because of the height, golfers are equipped with six balls containing tracking chips and the ball is followed by four cameras as it descends. The green below is shaped to resemble the continent of Africa. If you manage a hole in one, you'll win a million dollars!
No one has accomplished that yet. A few pro golfers have hit a birdie here and interestingly, Morgan Freeman became one of the first golfers to record a par on the Extreme 19th.
At the resort's website you can see a video of the experience. Pretty cool, right?!






I just read that Morgan Freeman, who played the role of Nelson Mandela is Clint Eastwood's movie, Invictus, received the news that he had been nominated for three Golden Globes while he was on the green of the Extreme 19th. Not only did he sink the ball in three, but he was nominated for three!
ReplyDeleteThe CEO of the resort, Peet Cilliers said of the visit: “Mr. Freeman is a wonderful actor and a true gentleman. It was a great honour for us to be able to share our resort with him. It was extra special when he received news while he was on the green of the Extreme 19th that he had been nominated for the Golden Globes. Everyone at the resort who met Mr. Freeman was touched by his friendliness and charm, so all the staff are now obviously even bigger fans and hoping he wins his most deserved award.”
That's such a fun fact! I think I can win the million...is it dollars or what? ;)
ReplyDeleteYup, a million US dollars. If you do, the trip's on you!
Deletewho knew golf was a thrill-seeker's sport?
ReplyDeleteJust want to say...I was not given the opportunity to try to sink this...I need to go back in order to right this injustice!
ReplyDelete