Monday, October 28, 2013

Oom Samie se Winkel

Oom Samie se Winkel (Afrikaans: Uncle Samie's Store) is an institution in Stellenbosch and a recommended stop on any visitor's itinerary.  Continuing the fine old tradition of the rural trading post, Oom Samie Se Winkel stocks everything from handcrafted straw yard brooms to clothing, fruit and veg, traditional wares and handicrafts.  The store is designed for browsing at your leisure, perhaps even relaxing on a bench on the front veranda as you watch the world go by - as colonial folks would have done in the old days.

I fondly remember the first time I went to Oom Samie se Winkel.  Brenda and Clodagh were living in Cape Town and my parents and I were down there to visit them.  Clodagh had already mailed me a package of goodies from Oom Samie se Winkel and promised to take us all there during our visit.  The dustiness of the store and indiscernable smells are still etched on my memory.  You simply must experience it for yourselves.  We'll add it to our list of stops the day we tour the Stellenbosch wine route.
My parents introducing a couple of guests they had from England to Oom Samie se Winkel

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a plan. Nothing like a country store. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. For once I will agree with Allyse! I look forward to it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You agree with me all the time because I'm always correct! :) Thank you for finally admiting it. :)
    Heeeee

    ReplyDelete