Monday, January 6, 2014

All good things...

... must come to an end. 
 
It's hard to believe, after the months of research and planning and reservations and saving - it's over already.

We had a lovely send-off, though.  For our last night in Cape Town, after a day of wine and brandy tasting, my dad made his delicious curry for us to pair with the wine purchases which were just not going to make it into our suitcases.
African curry - delish!
Those of us who stayed up past midnight got to hear the cannon fired to mark the new year and see the fireworks display put on by the South African Navy - just across the bay from my parents' house.

Early on new year's morning we set off to the airport for the short flight back to Jo'burg.  Everyone was thinking, do we really have to leave?
Not ready to leave yet...
(man that's a lot of luggage)
Bye Cape Town!
Hello Jo'burg!
Pat and Janette picked us up and we spent our final South African hours at their home, eating one of the best meals we've had yet.  A braai with all the meats - boerewors, chicken and steak - Janette's delicious pap with corn and onion and bacon in, grilled veggies on the side followed by a dessert of peppermint crisp tart... and just a few bottles of Savanna Dry.
You have to prepare the coals, get the fire just right, before the meat goes on.
Damon had been threatening to force a drink on us since we arrived called a Sowetan Toilet.  I wonder why we had been dodging that one?!  As nasty as it looks is as good as it tastes.
Precision bartending
Umm... yum??
Yum!!
After that it was off to the airport for the flight to JFK, via Frankfurt.  We had one last opportunity to enjoy a Savanna Dry at the airport and we weren't going to miss it.
My attempt to copy Damon's signature photo of the trip, without the Damon-quality camera...
(note the double-fisting!)
Thanks to the helpful Savanna Dry sales lady, I now know how to open a bottle with a pair of scissors.
Just watch the flying caps, they can take an eye out.
Even with all our luggage thanks to all our shopping, we still managed to hit duty free in both Jo'burg and Frankfurt airports and pick up a few things.  We're not the sort to let a little thing like weight restrictions hold us back.
 
We were a little delayed getting home but still landed before the storm did on Thursday.  Our shuttle driver picking us up at JFK, who had been told five people and five suitcases, was pretty flabberghasted when he saw how much luggage we had (I believe his exact words were, "what the **** is all that?!").  But, undeterred, we all crammed into his van successfully.
 
One of the best parts of coming home was dropping Gail off at her house first, and hearing adorable little Kenyon calling "mommy, mommy, mommy" all the way from the front door and into her arms.  He probably hasn't let go yet.  Or, should I say, she probably hasn't let go yet!

2 comments:

  1. I can not begin to say what an amazing time I had...
    It's truly beyond words and the vacation was beyond my expectations.
    I thank you and TJ for sharing your family with us,
    your vacation with us,
    and you.your country with us.
    I never thought I needed to visit Africa (any country there) but I was wrong
    and I'm happy to say I was.
    I fully intend to visit again...perhaps for some grape stomping?
    Thank you again and again and again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You. Are. Welcome.

      I'm so very happy to hear how much you loved it, Allyse. It's truly a place like no other on earth. I hope you do get to go again. We barely skimmed the surface with this trip.

      Delete