 |
| The balcony at Spike and Rose's home |
You'll notice a little American influence when visiting my parents' home in Simon's Town, near Cape Town. On their large second floor balcony, they have two welcoming Adirondack chairs.
The precursor to today's Adirondack chair was designed by Thomas Lee in 1903. He was on vacation in Westport, New York, in the Adirondack Mountains, and needed outdoor chairs for his summer home. He tested the first designs on his family before arriving at the final design for the "Westport plank chair," made with 11 flat wooden boards, a straight back and seat, and wide armrests.
Today's Adirondack chairs usually feature a rounded back and contoured seat. The founder of this style seems to be Irving Wolpin who designed his chair as early as 1938.
Once you sit back into this chair, it's easy to feel why it's so popular for outdoor use. The flat, wide armrests even provide a convenient spot for a small plate or cup... or wineglass.
Credit for this post goes to Clodagh, who expressed that she can just picture our early-riser, Allyse, enjoying a cup of coffee in one of these Adirondack chairs as dawn breaks.
 |
| The large second floor balcony of Spike and Rose's home |
 |
| The view from the balcony, looking towards the naval base |
 |
| Spike with the binoculars out, enjoying an evening yacht race |
 |
| Bianca and me, slightly windblown, taking in the view from the Adirondack chairs |
Clo you know me so well. I saw that first picture and immediately I thought. I don't want to wake anyone up but I will be sitting there with an AM cup of coffee enjoying that amazing view. WOW. So looking forward to it. It it just so peaceful looking and lovely. Ahhhhh is the word that comes to mind.
ReplyDelete:)
Love It!! Gorgeous. I saw pics before but forgot how amazing your parents home is.
ReplyDelete